02 November 2006

Not a Racist Post

Stayed back to mark the children’s book, yet it’s still a lot to go.



I yawn and rest a while.

I look at my watch. It’s already 3 in the evening and thunder is hammering outside, but it’s nothing compared to the things that a teacher told me before she went back home. The things that she told me are still echoing loud inside my mind.

This teacher that I mentioned just now is the only Chinese BM teacher around besides me, and she is an experienced one. She has a daughter in my class, so apparently she knows how the progress of my classes going. She commented that the classes that I’m teaching are in a very VERY bad condition, after suffering from 3 months without BM teacher.

It’s true. Most students can’t even understand the textbook also.

Then she told me an open secret. She told me how the Malay teacher before me teaches the class, in a sarcastic manner.

When he entered the class, he will first ask a child to punch his back.

The child who volunteers to do so will be exempted from passing up his homework.

The karangan he will never teach. The children just have to copy the sample essay from reference book.

If the children get a full mark in Ejaan, he will ask their parents to put down their signature; if the children get zero, he will just leave it.

Etc..

“They sure die one like this” She added. “Later next year they standard 5 standard 6 they sure in big trouble, CONFIRMED”

“My daughter is lucky to have a mum as teacher, so I’m okay with it lah. But how is other student? Not every parent is able to teach their children BM you know?”

“You say die or not like this? Sure die one..”

You are feeling what I feel at the moment.

This morning I have just issue a simple note for two children parent and asked them to put down their signature.

Reason:

They don’t even understand the word ‘Bahasa’.

Not even ‘Kamu’.

The saddest thing is, they had tried their best to do the exercise for me. But I can only see pages of alphabets in a disordered manner, which brings no meaning at all.

I never blame them.

I just feel sad.

4 comments:

kexiou said...

我为你打气!!!

Anonymous said...

HAIH....KO!Don't so stressful...this also problem face for my house 2 child ...try to ask...I also left them...they definately no interesting on it...How force to do it?In addition, my house that 2 child is definately lazy until always let their teacher complaint...try to imagine, even I always beside them also useless,bcoz they always just waiting for my answer....

eddie said...

Kexiou, I would like to quote something from you: "I don't even need a single person to acknowledge me, when I never doubt what I'm doing is right."

I'm 100% confident with what I'm doing now. No more place for your encouragement already. How hah? :P

Thanks.


Ally, my case is different from yours. They want to learn, but they just cant catch up with others. I'm trying to acknowledge their parents hoping they will pay more attention to their children's studies.

Children always want to learn more, and it all depends on how the adult guide them. The only way is making the lesson simple and interesting.
If you tell me there's a child who are not interested in anything, i don't believe. Never.

Usually those 'naughtier' students just want to express themselves more, we just have to acknowledge them and give them a chance, once a while. All they need is attention.

I will never give up my children. They are now my responsibility.

Btw, I'm just tired. Don't over-analysis things and conclude I'm stressed, okay?

I have never been more satisfy with my job.

Anonymous said...

haha...well....
I know ur feeling,haha!Anyway,wish u can improve their Bm language as well as u can...keep going on....